Tuesday, November 24, 2015

2015-47 - Please listen to me…

When I ask you to listen to me and you start giving advice, you have not done what I have asked for.

When I ask you to listen to me and you begin to tell me why I shouldn't feel that way, you are trampling on my feelings.

When I ask you to listen to me and you feel you have to do something to solve my problems, you have failed me, strange as that may seem.

All I ask is that you listen. Not talk or do, just hear me out. Advice is cheap: 50 cents will get you Dorothy Dix and Dr Spock in the same newspaper. And I can do for myself; I'm not helpless. Maybe discouraged and faltering, but not helpless.

When you do something for me that I can and need to do for myself, you contribute to my fear and weakness. But when you accept as a simple fact that I do feel what I feel, no matter how irrational, I quit trying to convince you and can get about the business of understanding what’s behind this irrational feeling.

And when that's clear, the answers are obvious and I don't need advice. So, please listen and just hear me out, and if you want to talk, wait for your turn; and I'll listen to you.

~ Author Unknown
____________________________________________________

“Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what
it takes to sit down and listen.”


~ Winston Churchill
____________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment